Sunday, June 29, 2008

Socks, socks, socks

Summer of socks is now underway so its socks, socks and more socks around here. I had said in my last post that I was going to try and finish my current sock KIPs prior to the start time. Well it almost went to plan. I finished the multicoloured monkey socks.

Multicoloured monkeys finished

And then I went on to knit the second sock of a pair in Lorna's laces shepherd sock in rainbow.

Lorna's laces rainbow socks

Which left me with one sock on the needles - a purple/grey/blue pair. They are still on the needles and sleeping peacefully there to be finished at a later date.

Then I got ready for Summer of socks. I wound some yarn.



Printed lots of different patterns.



And got underway with a favourite pattern and favourite yarn - No purl monkey socks in Lorna's laces shepherd sock in Uptown.

Uptown no purl monkey sock 1

The first sock is finished as you can see and the second one is now at the heel.

I've also cast on a second pair. Plain stockinette socks in Garnstudio fabel.

Plain fabel sock 1

Which I've now turned the heel of the first one.

I had hoped to have a little more progress but I've been a bit stressed and down this week. I had a discussion with my manager about what I'm going to do re my job and back problem. Currently I work on an acute surgical ward and for all my nursing jobs so far I've had similarly heavy nursing jobs. My back is, to be frank, not really up to that long term so I'm now waiting for an assessment by the Occupational health department and what that will bring. Hopefully I should be fit enough for work in a few weeks but I'm not sure what my work schedule will be as I think I might be eithermoved to another area if a job is available or more likely, a back to work programme in my current workplace with shorter shifts. Either way, its all a little uncertain and I'm not good at coping with uncertainity. I'm also coping with the frustration of feeling up to working out more/doing different exercise but my body rebelling and not letting me do it. Very frustrating. I can feel myself getting down about it too and know I need to fight that as things are better than they were. I can do more that I could when this all flared up again in April, the numbness in my foot is gone and the pain is a lot less. If keep reminding myself of this and keep myself busy, I know I can get through this frustrating time. It helps just typing this all out.

Anyway if you managed to read though that, thanks.

Thanks to everyone who commented on my last post. Someone asked what fabric I stitched Happy Haunting on. Well I used the fabric that came with the kit when I got it at the retreat. Having seen Joy's WIP recently, its obvious that the fabric in the kit in the shops just now is different. The fabric I have is much more yellow/green.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

{{{{Paula}}} - I hope the work situation sorts itself out quickly and satisfactorily - it must be a difficult time for you at the minute.

Love the socks!

stitcherw said...

Your socks look great, my favorite is the first pair, multicolor monkey socks, they're beautiful.

Sorry to hear that work condition and your back is still so stressful and uncertain. I hope everything works out soon so that you a more fixed idea of what will be happening.
Sue

Sonda said...

Love the socks! I can sympathize with ya...I don't do so well with uncertainty myself...kinda makes being in the medical field sorta ironic. Hope things work out!!!

Joyus said...

Blimey, those needles are definitely smoking! Love the socks, the colours are fab.

I hope your work situation gets sorted soon

Karoline said...

{{{Paula}}} I hope you can get things sorted out with work soon.

The socks are all great

Dani - tkdchick said...

cool socks and cool colours. I've never had a pair of knitted socks... do you not find them a little hot?

Scully said...

I hope you sort work out soon Paula. (hugs) The socks are great...really love that monkey pattern. Well done.

Aussie Stitcher said...

Hope you get your work situation sorted out. You are certainly getting through those socks quickly, the look great.

Anonymous said...

{{{Paula}}} I hope everything works out for the best with your job - it definitely sounds stressful, and you don't need that right now. More {{{hugs}}}.

The socks you are working on are very pretty!

TangledFrog said...

How stressful. Hope your back continues to improve and things work out positively for your job. By the way, LOVE the purless monkies in LL Uptown!!!

gilraen said...

You are doing really well on the sock front Paula!! :) Well done, they are all gorgeous :)